Wednesday, February 16, 2011

On Being a Teenager...

They say a picture is worth a 1,000 words, right? What if the picture is words?

I spent the better part of today with my juniors doing a brainstorming/pre-reading activity for The Perks of Being a Wallflower. They brainstormed away, and then I inputted their ideas into Wordle. I plan to use this visual tomorrow as a reflective assignment: is this image reflective of your generation?

Here's what they said:

Period 1:
Wordle: BeingATeenager(1)

Period 5:
Wordle: BeingATeenager(5)

Period 7:
Wordle: Being a Teen (7)

All periods combined:
Wordle: Being A Teenager (compiled)


I'd be curious to hear reactions...

2 comments:

  1. I like this idea and the question it's paired with.

    Have you read It's Kind of a Funny Story? I read that around the same time as Perks (I actually didn't finish that one). There's a similar activity that can be done with that book. The main character likes to create "brain maps" and this ties in nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not read Funny Story...what's it like? You should finish Perks - it is an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete